China, the Ottoman Empire, & Japan 1800–1914
• To make students aware of the refocusing of racism in the nineteenth-century West
• To examine the effects of Western dominance on the empires of Asia
• To explore the reasons behind the collapse of the Chinese and Ottoman empires
• To investigate the reasons for Japan’s rise to its position as an industrial superpower and to compare Japan’s experience with that of China
Extra Credit is due Friday!
Quiz - 19 - this Monday.
Quiz - 20 - Next Tuesday.
Presentations to the class on 19 & 20 beginning on Friday.
Each group will spend a couple of class periods researching their target 'expert' area. They will design a visual presentation (poster, skit, video, power point, discussion) using Strayer and any other World History source material needed. There will be two formative grades assessed for this work (preparation/proposal -and- presentation).
CH 19 Groups:
3. Ottoman Empire
CH 20 Groups:
5. 2nd Wave European Conquests
6. Colonial Economies
7. Colonial Identities and Cultural Change
Test for Chapters 19 & 20 is next Friday, Feb. 24
Monday, Feb 13, 2012
Quote: "You know you are in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss
1. Quiz - Chapter 19
2. Discuss Group Project on 19 & 20.
3. Get into groups for planning.
Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012
Quote: "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." - Aristotle
1. Video Clip - Love. Anthropologist Helen Fisher studies gender differences and the evolution of human emotions. She's best known as an expert on romantic love, and her beautifully penned books -- including Anatomy of Love and Why We Love -- lay bare the mysteries of our most treasured emotion.
2. Group work in preparation for presentation to the class beginning on Friday.
Wednesday & Thursday, Feb 16/17, 2012
Quote: "You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen
1. Video Clip - Imperialism.
2. Group work in preparation for the presentation to the class beginning on Friday.
Friday, Feb 17, 2012
Quote: "Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it." - Benjamin Franklin
1. First group in CH. 19 will present:
NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY.
QUIZ Chapter 20 on Tuesday.
Presentations will continue.
Test next Friday the 24th.