Six Glasses Reading Guide - Questions to Consider
Section I Summaries:
For each of the six beverages, and for the epilogue, write a 1⁄2 page summary of the author’s main points. Explain when, where, why and how that beverage became important and what effect it had on world history. Give specific examples of how the beverage affected history.
Section II Reading Questions:
The questions provided for this book are meant to get you thinking about history. It isn’t merely enough to read about history; you must “do” history. Answer the questions completely on a separated paper. You do not have to rewrite the question but you must answer in complete sentences.
1. How is the discovery of beer linked to the growth of the first “civilizations”?
2. What does this history of beer in the ancient world tell us about the early civilizations?
3. What sources does the author use to gather his information on the use of beer?
4. What were some of the uses of beer by ancient cultures? Nourishment? Ritual? Religious?
5. How did beer “civilize” man, according to Standage?
6. What is the relationship between beer and writing, commerce, and health?