Welcome to 2012. :)
Thursday, May 17, 2012 -- > World History AP Test!
We have work to do.
My favorite photo from 2011:
“I saw the plane, which didn’t seem out of the ordinary, since planes had been in the sky all night, but for some reason this plane looked like it was heading towards the tribute in lights. It crossed over, and I was able to make about four frames of the plane actually passing through the lights. Of those, only one was in focus. I had actually hoped to expose for the plane, but I didn’t have time to change the settings. But in the end, the plane in white heading into the clouds seemed a fitting tribute on the September 11 ten year anniversary, so I’m glad the image was exposed as is and that I was lucky enough to capture this frame.”
Canon 5D, lens 50mm, f1.2, 1/50, ISO 800
Caption: A plane flies through the "Tribute in Lights" in lower Manhattan in New York September 10, 2011. REUTERS/Eric Thayer
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012:
Quote of the Day: "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." - Oprah Winfrey
1. 40 Inspirational Speeches in 2 Minutes.
2. New Seats
3. Notes, Discussion, & Video - European Expansion, Colonies in the Americas, & Columbian Exchange.
4. Begin Guns, Germs, & Steel Video (link below) and answer the questions on the Viewer's Guide (download at the link here).
Wednesday & Thursday, January 4th & 5th, 2012:
Quote of the Day: "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Einstein
1. Continue Guns, Germs, & Steel: Episode 2 - Conquest.
2. Students will write answers to questions from the viewing guide and discuss after the video.
Watch GGAS "Conquest" video here.
3. Discussion G,G,A,S - Compare Strayer to Diamond. How could 80,000 Inca soldiers fall to 168 Spanish conquistadors?
4. Students will be in 4 groups, they will read the Visual Sources of Chapter 14. (There are 4 of them) The students will discuss each visual source, relate it to GGAS and present briefly to the full class about it.
Answers to the viewing guide GGAS.
Friday, January 6th, 2012:
Quote of the Day: "It is difficult to live in the present, ridiculous to live in the future, and impossible to live in the past. Nothing is as far away as one minute ago." - Jim Bishop
1. Quiz Chapter 14. Students can use notes, & target sheets to assist.
2. Do Now Question - after the quiz - "Compare British Colonization of the Americas to that of the Spanish." What is similar/different in those colonies. (consider: Culture, Trade, Social Systems, Slavery)
2. The Russian Empire. We will discuss the rise of Russia & Ivan the Great and Ivan the Terrible.
We will also view portions of Engineering an Empire: Russia
Next Wed/Thu is the test for Chapters 14 & 15. Review Chapter 15 for Monday. Quiz on Monday.