TUE - Intro CH. 1
WED/THU - CH 2 & Guns, Germs, & Steel
FRI - Quiz CH 1 & 2, and finish Guns, Germs, and Steel
TEST is Next Friday, Sept. 14
Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012
Quote of the Day: “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Part 1 - First Things First Beginnings in History, to 500 BCE
- To familiarize students with the spread of human societies in the Paleolithic era
- To explore the conditions of life in gathering and hunting societies
- To examine factors that eventually led to change in the gathering and hunting societies
DO NOW - In what ways, and why, did the Chumash culture differ from that of the San? (Strayer p. 29)
1. Watch the video and write your observations at the end. The History of the World in Seven Minutes.
2. Notes and Discussion focused on the Big Picture Questions #3 and #4 for Chapter 1:
3. What statements in this chapter seem to be reliable and solidly based on facts, and which ones are more speculative and uncertain?
4. How might our attitudes toward the modern world influence our assessment of Paleolithic societies?Wednesday & Thursday, Sept. 5 & 6, 2012
Quote of the Day: "Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts." - Edward R. Murrow
Part 1 - First Things First Beginnings in History, to 500 BCELEARNING TARGETS
- To make students aware that agriculture evolved independently in several regions of the world
- To trace the development of agriculture and its local variation
- To consider the social implications of the Agricultural Revolution
DO NOW ?: Was the Agricultural Revolution inevitable? Why did it occur so late in the story of humankind? (Strayer p. 50-53)
1. Film: Guns, Germs, and Steel: Episode 1, 50 minutes;
Students will use the viewing guide for the film.
2. Discussion and analysis: 30 minutes
Click here for Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI
Friday Sept. 7, 2012
Quote of the Day: "You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
1. QUIZ over Chapter 1 and Chapter 2.
2. Students will finish watching Guns, Germs and Steel (link and episode guide above)
TEST on Chapters 1 and 2 is next FRIDAY