Six Glasses Reading Guide - Questions to Consider
Section I Summaries:
For each of the six beverages, and for the epilogue, write a 1⁄2 page summary of the author’s main points. Explain when, where, why and how that beverage became important and what effect it had on world history. Give specific examples of how the beverage affected history.
Section II Reading Questions:
The questions provided for this book are meant to get you thinking about history. It isn’t merely enough to read about history; you must “do” history. Answer the questions completely on a separated paper. You do not have to rewrite the question but you must answer in complete sentences.
1. Who did Europeans get coffee from and how did it spread to Europe?
2. Why was it so important to Europe’s development that many people’s beverage of choice switched from alcohol to coffee?
3. Describe coffee’s effect on the global balance of power (in terms of commerce).
4. How did coffee play a pivotal role in the scientific revolution? (give lots of detail)
5. How did coffee play a pivotal role in the ‘financial revolution’?
6. How did coffee play a pivotal role in the French Revolution? (give lots of detail and go into the Enlightenment)
Six Glasses Screen-cast Video Part 4 - Coffee in the Age of Reason