Advanced Placement World History with Mr. Duez
Unit 6: The Most Recent Century, 1900 - 2010
Chapter 22: The Rise and Fall of World Communism, 1917 - PresentWEEK AT A GLANCE:
MON/TUE: Quiz, CH 22; Ferguson's War of the World - Ice Box; CCOT Prep
WED/THU: Chinese & Russian Communism compared; Rise & Fall of World Communism; CCOT Prep
FRI: Timed Writing - CCOT
SPECIAL BELL SCHEDULE THIS WEEK.
|Great T-Shirt idea from 2012.|
Targets - Chapter 22 - "World Communism: Rise and Fall"
• To examine the nature of the Russian and Chinese revolutions and how the differences between those revolutions affected the introduction of communist regimes in those countries
• To consider how communist states developed, especially in the USSR and the People’s Republic of China
• To consider the benefits of a communist state
• To consider the harm caused by the two great communist states of the twentieth century
• To introduce students to the cold war and its major issues
• To explore the reasons why communism collapsed in the USSR and China
• To consider how we might assess the communist experience . . . and to inquire if historians should be asking such questions about moral judgment
|Stalin's secret recipe was killing.|
Essential Questions to Consider:
BIG PICTURE QUESTIONS
1. What was the appeal of communism, in terms of both its promise and its achievements? To what extent did it fulfill that promise?
2. Why did the communist experiment, which was committed to equality and a humane socialism, generate such oppressive, brutal, and totalitarian regimes?
3. What is distinctive about twentieth-century communist industrialization and modernization compared to the same processes in the West a century earlier?
4. What was the global significance of the cold war?
5. “The end of communism was as revolutionary as its beginning.” Do you agree with this statement?
6. In what different ways did the Soviet Union and China experience communism during the twentieth century?
MARGIN REVIEW QUESTIONS
1. When and where did communism exercise influence during the twentieth century?
2. Identify the major differences between the Russian and Chinese revolutions.
3. Why were the Bolsheviks able to ride the Russian Revolution to power?
4. What was the appeal of communism in China before 1949?
5. What changes did communist regimes bring to the lives of women?
6. How did the collectivization of agriculture differ between the USSR and China?
7. What were the achievements of communist efforts at industrialization? What problems did these achievements generate?
8. Why did communist regimes generate terror and violence on such a massive scale?
9. In what different ways was the cold war expressed?
10. In what ways did the United States play a global role after World War II?
11. Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the communist world by the 1970s.
12. What explains the rapid end of the communist era?
13. How did the end of communism in the Soviet Union differ from communism’s demise in China?
|Residents rest near portraits of the Soviet state founder Vladimir Lenin and dictator Joseph Stalin at Dong Fang Hong Square in Nanjie, China on September 24, 2012.|
Monday, March 31, 2014 & Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Quote: "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind." -William James
1. DO NOW: Prep for Quiz
2. Reading Check Quiz: Chapter 22 - World Communism
3. Pick up after the quiz: questions from the front for Ferguson's War of the World, Episode 5: Ice Box
4. Documentary Study: The War of the World, Episode 5: Ice Box
5. Discuss the Cold War: USA, USSR, and China.
Focus on: In what ways did the United States play a global role after World War II?
Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the communist world by the 1970s.
|Chinese today remember the Mao days like it was their great historic past. There is more to the story.|
Wednesday, April 2, 2014 & Thursday, April 3, 2014
Quote: “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” - Abraham Lincoln
1. DO NOW: Compare: Chinese & Russian Revolutions.
2. Notes, Video, Discussion: World Communism, Rise & Fall.
John Green Crash Course World History: Cold War
John Green Crash Course World History: Chinese Communism
3. CCOT Prep: Students will look at student samples, scoring guides, and discuss the "Historical Context" part of the CCOT.
How To Write the CCOT
|Lego Tank Man|
Friday, April 4, 2014
Quote: “Spectacular achievement is always preceded by unspectacular preparation.” - Robert H. Schuller
1. DO NOW: Prep for CCOT.
2. Timed Writing: CCOT
After a flip of the coin, students will write one of the two questions:
I. Analyze continuities and changes in nationalist ideology and practice in ONE of the following regions from the First World War to the present:
• Middle East • Southeast Asia • Sub-Saharan Africa
II. Analyze changes and continuities in long-distance migrations in the period from 1700 to 1900. Be sure to include specific examples from at least TWO different world regions.
Quiz on Monday over Chapter 23.