|Jacques-Louis David, The Death of Socrates, 1787|
- To point out the enormous influence on world history of the religious and cultural traditions developed in the classical world
- To examine the reasons behind the development of these religious and cultural traditions
- To consider the common ground and significant differences between these religious and cultural traditions and examine possible reasons behind them
1. DO NOW:
Is a secular outlook on the world an essentially modern phenomenon, or does it have precedents in the classical era?
Write out your answer in your notes.
(This week the Big Idea questions from Strayer will be our Do Now questions. You also have the opportunity to answer one of them in essay form for extra credit on the test. It is due just before the test on Friday.)
2. Notes & Discussion on Greek Rational Thought and review of yesterday's discussion of China's religious tradition (connect with the big picture question).
3. Notes & Discussion: India (Hinduism and Buddhism compared)
TEST IS FRIDAY.
Extra credit Big Question essay due before the test.